Thursday, November 01, 2007

What I forgot about Google's targeted media

I listed 9 interested parties who will stand to win or loose if Google controls media placement across more than just the internet. However I forgot the general public – you and I in our real lives.Will we benefit from more targeted advertising?

The answer to this question depends on your viewpoint on the benefits of advertising I guess. I used to take a snotty attitude to advertising wondering what social benefits advertising offers. Now that I’m a little older and wiser, I understand that it’s advertising that pays for interesting content, it’s advertising (marketing) that drives innovation and it’s advertising that let’s me know that there are alternative opportunities out there. Whether the adverts be for jobx, bank accounts or cars, ultimately we all benefit – even if we don’t appreciate it. On the assumption that Google will improve the relevant of adverts I see, I can only suggest that it’s going to be a good thing if they take over more and more media placement.

No comments: